Ontario Assists Everest Students

By May Nazar

(TORONTO, ON) – Ontario is providing up to $7.6 million to help students affected by the closure of Everest College. This is in addition to the $3 million now available through the Training Completion Assurance Fund that was posted by Everest College.

The funding is to ensure that every student has the option to complete their training at a nearby institution, without having to pay additional tuition. If completing their training is not an option, or students choose not to complete their training, they will receive a refund.

The ministry has signed 11 agreements with training completion providers, so that former Everest students can continue their training, and continues to review proposals.

“Our government’s number one priority throughout this process has been the well-being of affected students,” said Reza Moridi, Minister of Training, Colleges, and Universities. “The Superintendent, supported by ministry staff, has been working hard to arrange training completion opportunities at nearby institutions. We know that students just want to get back to their studies and they can be reassured that this special, non-repayable grant will help cover the costs associated with their new training opportunity.”

It is the role of Ontario’s Superintendent of Private Career Colleges, under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005, to make arrangements for students affected by the closure of a private career college to complete their training at another institution or provide them with refunds, as required by the regulations under that Act.

Ontario is also limiting student debt by ensuring that the Ontario Student Opportunity Grant is available to all eligible Everest students, including those who choose to apply for a refund. OSAP debt will be limited to $7,300 for a two term academic year, or $10,950 for three terms, regardless of how much was borrowed.

The Superintendent of Private Career Colleges and the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities have reviewed the files of nearly 2,700 Everest students, to assess each student’s options for training completion or a refund. Alternate training options have been identified for 86 per cent of students and there is on-going work to identify options for the remaining 14 per cent.

Students who have not submitted their claims are encouraged to do so as soon as possible.

The Superintendent will start sending out option packages to students on March 11, 2015.

Stock up on stamps at Canada Post with Stamp Coils! Get your stamps today - Click here!

About the Author

Ian Shalapata
Ian writes for and provides imagery to Square Media Group as well as accepting freelance photographic assignments. In addition, he has contributed to media organizations, sporting groups, and individuals across North America including the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, Chatham-Kent Sports Network, the Golf Association of Michigan, League 1 Ontario, as well as numerous colleges and universities in Canada and the United States. Email Ian Shalapata
%d bloggers like this: