(WINDSOR, ON) – Fire Station No. 7, Windsor’s newest station celebrated its official opening on Thursday, May 3 with local politicians, neighbours and contractors. This is the first new fire station in Windsor since 1984.
Chief Bruce Montone welcomed guests to tour the facility following the official ribbon cutting.
The 10,000 square foot fire station is located at 1380 Matthew Brady Boulevard, at the intersection of Lauzon Parkway and Lauzon Line. It serves the community of old Riverside and the developing area of East Riverside.
Designed by NORR, the facility features some innovative energy saving techniques that make it eligible for its Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) award:
- Energy efficient windows located for maximum exterior viewing and limited heat loss.
- Use of recycled materials and locally produced construction materials to reduce transportation costs and carbon foot print.
- Landscape design that focuses on native, drought tolerant plants;
- Accessible building open to school groups to view how construction can conserve energy and minimize the impacts on the environment.
- Limiting the heat island effect by using concrete paving and light reflective granular material on the roof.
- Developing a construction waste management plan to divert construction material to recycling.
- Reducing the use of volatile organic compounds (VOC) found in paint, adhesives, etc.
- Implementing a green housekeeping plan for maintenance and upkeep.
The station’s new location on Lauzon Parkway results in reducing emergency response times to Forest Glade and East Riverside by two to three minutes.
The $2.6 million building includes three truck bays with a uniquely designed office and living quarters to accommodate eight fire fighters and up to three staff in the Captain’s Quarters. The overall project cost was $3.9 million. It was totally funded through the capital budget of the City of Windsor as a major component of the Building Windsor’s Future investment strategy.