Legislature Passes Throne Speech
(TORONTO, ON) – The Speech from the Throne was passed in the Ontario legislature today. Its passage means the government’s plan to create a stronger, more competitive economy that protects and creates jobs for families is moving forward.
The Throne Speech provides a roadmap for the future and includes key government priorities including:
- Providing a grant to reduce undergraduate college and university tuition by an average of 30 per cent for families earning less than $160,000 per year to keep the cost of postsecondary tuition within everyone’s reach.
- Selecting three new sites for undergraduate campuses to build a more competitive workforce.
- Introducing the proposed Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit to help seniors live independently longer and create and support thousands of jobs in the home renovation sector.
- Increasing home care services so seniors can receive quality care and live healthier lives in their own homes.
- Adding two-way, all-day GO train service to keep people moving in the GTA and Greater Golden Horseshoe and create 68,000 new jobs.
- Reaffirming the goal to return the province’s budget to balance by 2017-18 to ensure the fiscal framework is in place to support a strong economy.
The Throne Speech also outlines principles for moving the economy forward, while protecting public services. Reforms must help the province get better value-for-money through improved efficiencies and greater productivity. Austerity measures that harm the economy will not be pursued. There will be no tax increases or the privatization of public health care.
Short URL: http://www.windsorsquare.ca/?p=23709