(TORONTO, ON) – The US Consulate in Toronto has issued a security alert for American citizens in Canada. The US government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting US citizens, including children.
Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns, and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public venues.
Actions To Take
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats to local authorities.
The US Consulate in Toronto is located at 360 University Avenue and is open from 8:30am until 5pm, Monday through Friday and can be contacted by calling 416-595-1700. If you are a US citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency number for the Toronto Consulate is 416-201-4056.