Stove-Top Fire Causes $100K Damage

A stove-top fire caused $100,000 in damage after breaking out in a home on Campus Parkway in Chatham on 5 December 2017.Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services.

A stove-top fire caused $100,000 in damage after breaking out in a home on Campus Parkway in Chatham on 5 December 2017.
Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services.

(CHATHAM, ON) – Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services is estimated $100,000 in damages after a stove-top fire broke out at a residence in the city on December 5.

Firefighters from CKFES Stations No. 1 and 2 were called to 387 Campus Parkway at around 5:30pm when the resident found her home to be full of smoke.

“The homeowner came home, opened the front door, and found the house was full of thick black smoke,” said Assistant Chief Chris Case. “She quickly closed the door, went to a safe location, and called 911. She did all the right things.”

Crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the residence. They executed an interior search and confirmed that everyone was out safely, then rapidly extinguished the fire which was located in the main floor kitchen.

“A pot had been left on the stove, such an easy thing to be distracted and do this, but the consequences can be tragic,” said Case. “Fires in the home are devastating at any time of the year, the damage from the fire, the smell of smoke and the water used to fight the blaze make a terrible mess.”

Firefighters returned to the Campus Parkway area yesterday and went door-to-door to check alarms, discussed home escape planning, and reminded residents about safe cooking, which is the number one cause of residential fires in Ontario.

“Fires during the holiday season are particularly heart-breaking and whilst we are relieved that nobody was hurt in this fire, it will be a difficult time for this family to get their home back to how it was and to enjoy the festive period,” Case said.

The risk of having a fire in your home increases this time of the year. The best and most important thing is to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

“Stove top fires are the most common type of cooking fire,” says Whitney Burk, the public educator at CKFES. “We have a lot on our minds during the holidays and it is easy to get sidetracked, thus we are asking everyone to stay in the kitchen when cooking and always double check that the stove and oven are shut off.”

Click for the latest news

About the Author

Ian Shalapata

Ian Shalapata is the owner and publisher of Square Media Group. He covers politics, the police beat, community events, the arts, sports, and everything in between.

His imagery and freelance contributions have appeared in select publications and for organizations in Canada and the United States.

Contact Ian with story ideas.

Be the first to comment on "Stove-Top Fire Causes $100K Damage"

Join the discussion