(OTTAWA, ON) – His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will present the Governor General’s Academic All-Canadian Commendation for the 2014-2015 season to eight recipients during a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Monday, November 16.
The Governor General’s Academic All-Canadian Commendation recognizes student-athletes who have maintained an average of 80 per cent or higher over the academic year while playing on one or more of their university’s varsity teams.
These Top Eight Academic All-Canadians are selected by Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) and its four Regional Associations.
Atlantic University Sport (AUS)
- Katie Ross – Acadia University – Soccer & Basketball – Kinesiology
- Cole Grbavac – St Francis Xavier – Hockey – Accounting (minor in Economics)
Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ)
- Katia Forcier -Université de Montréal – Volleyball – Audiology
- François Bourque – McGill University – Basketball – Accounting
Ontario University Athletics (OUA)
- Sasha Gollish – University of Toronto – Track & Field – PHD (Civil Engineering
- Austin Kennedy – University of Windsor – Football – Finance (minor in Psychology)
Canada West Universities Athletics Association (CWUAA)
- Sarah Wierks -University of the Fraser Valley – Basketball – Kinesiology
- Andrew Buckley – University of Calgary – Football – Kinesiology
In 2014-2015, a record 3,101 CIS student-athletes achieved an academic average of 80 per cent or higher, demonstrating their commitment to success in the classroom as well as on the playing field. These recipients represent the best and brightest, having achieved outstanding academic success while representing their university on varsity teams.