Cornering The Market On Pushups
By Ian Shalapata
(WINDSOR, ON) – This past Saturday, May 12, Refine Fitness Studio hosted their 2nd Annual Pushups for Charity Challenge, and it was a great success.
Created by Mike Bates of Refine Fitness Studio, a personal training and boot camp provider in Walkerville, Pushups for Charity pitted the reigning champions, the Windsor Police Service team, against a line-up consisting of members and staff of Refine Fitness, and a contingent from the Windsor Regiment. All participants were making a difference by supporting the Windsor Regional Hospital Foundation’s Cornerstone for Caring Project.
This year’s winning team was decided by taking the top five pushup scores from each team. With a high score of 417 pushups the Windsor Police Services retrained their pushup title and won out over the Average Joe’s & Jane’s who tallied 360 pushups. The Windsor Regiment, represented by only two participants, had a great total of 119.
The top 3 female scores were Maria Liu of WPS (75 pushups), Heather McPhee of WPS (66 pushups) and Doris Hellenbart of Average Joe’s & Jane’s team (63 pushups).
While pledges are still being totalled, the approximate estimate of money raised will exceed last year’s pledges of $10,000.
This year was also the first in a lot of ways. We had our youngest competitor (Jag at 2 years) our oldest (Don at 70 years), and our first pregnant competitor (Dawn who is due in September).
The breakdown of all age and gender award categories is as follows:
- Top Male: James Zedd of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (101 pushups)
- Runner Up: Gregg Turner of WPS (98 pushups)
- 2nd Runner Up: Sam Salame of WPS (90 pushups)
TOP FEMALE SCORES:
- Top Female: Maria Liu of WPS (75 pushups)
- Runner Up: Heather McPhee of WPS (66 pushups)
- 2nd Runner Up: Doris Hellenbart of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (63 pushups)
AGE CATEGORY WINNERS:
- Aged 19 & Under: Kaharah Franklin of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (50 pushups)
- Aged 20 – 24: Colin McAuslan of Average Joe’s and Jane’s (73 pushups)
- Aged 25 – 29: Brandon McFarlane of Windsor Regiment (82 pushups)
- Aged 30 – 34: James Zedd of Average Joe’s & Jane’s/Refine Fitness (101 pushups)
- Aged 35 – 39: Leslie Pingle of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (44 pushups)
- Aged 40 – 44: Dawn Van Helden of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (51 pushups)
- Aged 45 – 49: Michael Crawley of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (54 pushups)
- Aged 50 – 54:
- Aged 55 – 59:
- Aged 60 – 64: Tom Burns of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (83 pushups)
- Aged 65 & Up: Don Bates of Average Joe’s & Jane’s (20 pushups)
Short URL: http://www.windsorsquare.ca/?p=31558