GG To Present Arts Awards
(OTTAWA, ON) – His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, accompanied by Her Excellency Sharon Johnston, will present the 2012 Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts, during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Wednesday, March 28, 2012, at 6 p.m.
The Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts are Canada’s foremost awards for excellence in these artistic disciplines. The prizes are awarded annually to visual and media artists for distinguished career achievement in visual arts, architecture, independent film and video, or audio and new media. The awards also include the Saidye Bronfman Award for excellence in the fine crafts, as well as a prize for outstanding contributions to the visual and/or media arts in a volunteer or professional capacity. Each laureate receives $25,000 and a bronze medallion.
The following laureates will be honoured this year:
- Margaret Dragu, performance artist
- Geoffrey James, photographer
- Charles Lewton-Brain, artist-goldsmith (Saidye Bronfman Award)
- Ron Martin, visual artist
- Diana Nemiroff, art gallery director and curator (Outstanding Contribution)
- Jan Peacock, visual artist – media and installation
- Roydon Rabinowitch, sculptor
- Jana Sterbak, visual artist
The prizes are funded, administered and promoted by the Canada Council for the Arts. For more information on the Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts and on this year’s laureates, please visit online.
Short URL: http://www.windsorsquare.ca/?p=28588