Explore The Shore Dry Run
By Victoria Rose
(COLCHESTER, ON) – With warm temperatures outside, a group of business owners happily chatted aboard the air-conditioned W.E. Trolley as they followed this weekend’s Explore the Shore route. The 3-hour tour was used to familiarize all of the participants with where certain features are located (rest stops, parking, etc.) and what businesses will be offering for the weekend.
Each stop along the Explore the Store route on July 23 and 24 will offer some unique activities for a variety of hobbies and ages. From free drop-in programs like fishing and sandcastle building at Colchester Harbour, to vineyard and farm tours, to salon pampering and shopping for handmade gifts, Explore the Shore is the perfect close to home getaway.
Stretching from Malden Centre to Arner Townline, the 32 km piece of road that Explore the Shore encompasses continues to offer more each year with farms, wineries, gift shops, B&Bs and other businesses opening up along Lake Erie’s north shore. The annual two-day event (now entering its second year) highlights the diversity of businesses along the route and is a product of the cooperation that occurs between neighbours to promote the region. Organizers work year round to ensure that the event is exciting, family-friendly and plants the idea that a visit to the shore can be a year-round thing.
As part of yesterday’s tour, participants got to learn about:
- Riding techniques that the owners of Four Willows Farm will share with riders
- The types of lavender grown at Serenity Lavender, and how to smell the plant properly
- What’s in store for Oxley Winery (whose vines are growing well ahead of schedule) including wine, farming and growing new-to-the area fruits like Saskatoon berries
- The family-friendly activities at R & R Salon which will include $1/minute Reiki sessions, meditation for children, and a puppet show
- Improvements made to Caboto Park and Holiday Beach where guests will have free entry for this weekend
- Artisans who will be set up along the route at stops like LRRR Designs, Kevin’s Corner, and Wreaths & Florals by Janice
The offerings at each location vary a great deal and help demonstrate the passion for the region and collaboration that the participants share.
About the Event
Travel along historic County Road 50 and discover the unique services and products provided by Lake Erie North Shore’s many businesses – including children’s activities at Colchester Harbour. This is a fun weekend you won’t want to miss with local food sampling, live entertainment, restaurant specials, ice cream, blueberry picking, golf putting competition, art & gift shops, vineyard & orchard tours, wine tasting and more! Explore the Shore, Saturday, July 23 & Sunday, July 24, 2011 from 11am to 5pm (some businesses have extended hours). Pick up your passport at any participating business and plan your own route.
Short URL: http://www.windsorsquare.ca/?p=18497